Saturday 30 January 2016

Just Cause You Can't See It It Doesn't Mean It Doesn't Exist

It was a very hot summer day when, just after having had my very first colonoscopy, I was told that I had Crohn's. I only remember starting crying, still not totally conscious and under the effect of the drugs they had given me for the procedure. And then I remember a voice, the same voice that told me that I had Crohn's - the GI - telling me to take Prednisone - a corticosteroid - and that he would have seen me in 2 months! 
WHO DOES THAT? I mean come on! I'm not even fully awake, I'm crying, don't know where I am... and that's all you can come up with? And then I was left by myself, getting rid of all the gas in my system, crying... but at moment hysterically laughing cause I really couldn't hold that fart! - ahahah nghe' ahahah - second guessing my mental health, thinking my life as I knew it was over.

I obviously never took the Prednisone. Right, if you'll get to know me, you'll soon find out that I hate medicines! And I would never take a medicine without previously extensively talking about it with a trusted doctor. Let alone someone I had just met! Don't think that just cause you've seen my butt you've now established a special connection or trust relationship/bond between us! 
After that first encounter with what it is now my ex GI, I was left in total denial. I had been sick for the last 6 months and just couldn't believe that I had just been diagnosed with the worst of my "options". But I was going on vacation and I decided not to think about it till back. 

During my vacation I... kind of self prescribed myself some 5-ASA - did it ever helped? I'm still not sure - and I put myself on a very strict diet that I had come up with after extensively reading all the blogs I could find on the internet. My diet consisted of: chicken, fish, rice, pasta, potatoes and carrots. And... that's about it. I knew I couldn't have survived long on that diet and it came to an end few weeks after I came back home. While on the "diet" I had cramps from time to time but never felt super sick. After a while though I became constipated. Once I only managed to go to the washroom after 5 days and only after gulping down 2 spoons of oil! bleah! 

All this was happening in August. After that I was careful with what I ate, but not really and I got sick several times (flare ups). I met with my GI that obviously wasn't very happy when I told him I hadn't taken the Prednisone. He gave me a lecture and then prescribed me Imuran, an immunosuppressant. WHAT? ahahahah okay, you are just not getting it, are you? He tried the Fear Card with me - no, it doesn't work that way - and gave me a drug informative sheet that was targeted to kids - well, now, do you think that's going to work? - and told me to think about it and to let him know if I would then decide to go ahead and take the medicine. Well, that's been the last time I've seen that doctor. 

Please note that the links I used in the above text are just informative and I used those for lack of better information. I don't necessarily agree with the information they provide. I'll try to find websites that better represent my view on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment